|Born:||July 16, 1991||Draft:||Signed by the Capitals in 2013|
|Hometown:||St. Cloud, MN||Position:||Defence|
|National Team:||United States||Current Team:||Winnipeg Jets|
Nathan Thomas Schmidt (born July 16, 1991) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman playing for the Winnipeg Jets of the National Hockey League (NHL). He previously played for the Washington Capitals, Vegas Golden Knights and Vancouver Canucks.
As an undrafted player, Schmidt signed with the Capitals in 2013 after playing for the University of Minnesota. He was claimed by the expansion Golden Knights in 2017, and was part of the upstart inaugural season that saw them become the first NHL expansion team to qualify for the Stanley Cup Finals in their first season against his former team, the Capitals.
Schmidt was traded to the Canucks during the 2020 offseason when the Golden Knights needed cap space to sign unrestricted free agent (UFA) defenceman Alex Pietrangelo. Then after one season with the Canucks, he was traded to the Jets.
Nate Schmidt Statistics
- Winnipeg Jets’ Trio of Undrafted Players Making Big Impacts
- Jets Continue to Improve Defensive Corp with Schmidt Trade
- Canucks Are Wasting Schmidt’s Talents in a Shutdown Role
- Golden Knights: Nate Schmidt’s Journey
- 2x NCAA All-Academic Team member (2012, 2013)
- NCAA (WCHA) First All-Star Team (2013)