Why join THW?
- Being part of one of the largest, most respected hockey publishers
- Unparalleled network of writers, scholars and influencers
- Rock solid publishing platform
- Get paid for your work
We have a huge audience of over four million monthly visitors. These include NHL executives and HR people, hockey publications, player agents, radio and tv personalities; all sorts of hockey people will read your work.
“I learned a great deal about writing in my time with The Hockey Writers. The tremendous support and teamwork the group offers help to motivate and improve your writing. I have had doors opened for me that would never have been available if not for the exposure and the respect that The Hockey Writers has in the hockey community.”
– Andrew Eide, Sportsnet.ca, 710 ESPN Seattle
“The Hockey Writers provided me with the opportunity to cover some Calgary Flames games from the Press Box this season!” – Ryan Pike, former credentialed THW contributor
“Athletes talk all the time about how playing with the best encourages them to elevate their games, and the same axiom applies to The Hockey Writers. Without the push I’ve gotten from this site, my writing would’ve stayed stagnant and I never would’ve gotten opportunities like writing for NBC .” – James Neveau, NBC Chicago
“During my time with THW I have taken the next step in my writing career; because of the success of the website I secured a full-season media pass in New Jersey. I have learned so much from the other writers & have made some great friends along the way as well. It’s an honor to work with such a talented group.” – Dan Rice, former credentialed Devils contributor
Benefits of joining The Hockey Writers
- All writers are eligible for monthly traffic based compensation
- Private Slack group with direct access to our experienced & connected writers & site admins
- Personal Brand development
- Large & growing audience for your writing including a huge syndication network (Yahoo News, Google News, Flipboard, USA Today and more..)
We are seeking both the serious journalist who likes posting often, our beat writers, as well as part-timers who might not have the time to post every few days. Experienced casual writers who write at a high level but may only have time for a weekly post can also call THW home.
- Experience writing online, this should not be your first kick at the can
- An ability to consistently deliver high-quality work
- Publishing high-quality posts in a consistent manner
- A social media presence for sharing your work and potentially the work of your colleagues
Please send writing examples (links are fine) to email@example.com
Current openings*: Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Carolina Hurricanes, Colorado Avalanche, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks, St. Louis Blues, Tampa Bay Lightning, and Vegas Golden Knights
Prospects and Business of Hockey – the money game
* we likely have other openings available, please feel free to inquire.
Please send an email to – firstname.lastname@example.org
* include a few lines about yourself and your writing experience, writing experience at a well-known hockey outlet or University/Local paper is a must and links to your work. Including a Twitter handle scores bonus points.
We receive a lot of requests and are not able to reply to everyone. If you do not receive a reply within three days, it means that we are not moving forward with your application.